Thursday, June 20, 2013

Day Four

Today I ate 2 peaches, some brussels sprouts cooked in butter, garlic, and chicken broth, and some cheese and crackers, probably less than half of a sustainable diet. I think I did not strictly follow my rule to eat whenever I am hungry, but I didn't feel miserable. I am curious to go off the drug, to see how much more difficult it is to not eat, but I think I would need to hire someone to switch my bottle with placebos at a random time to get any reliable information out of that experiment. 

I don't have much else to report so I thought I'd talk briefly about the AMA decision to classify obesity as a disease. It seems like a matter of consistency. Why would you treat an inability to focus on schoolwork any differently than you would treat an inability to manage your weight?  Depression, addiction, ADHD, OCD, and now poor weight management. All of these diseases were basically conjured out of the drugs which improved them. The classification of disease is a demand driven market. If you aren't taking a drug to manage a disease, then what you are doing is recreational drug use, and there is a lot of stigma surrounding that. 

When science discovers the mechanisms by which our faults are manifested, we may choose to continue to call them faults, but the defensibility of that position wanes. Remember that someday they might well come out with a drug which alters one's sense of self-righteousness over not taking drugs. 

Back to Belviq, tomorrow is pizza for lunch. I have literally not yet managed to eat less than 4 slices of pizza at lunch, and I have felt very bad about doing so every day, so this should be an interesting experiment.

No comments:

Post a Comment